Monday, March 23, 2015

but seriously, why the third world?


Every morning it takes me about an hour and a half to arrive at my university.
Sometimes, when I time the busses just right, I can manage it in an hour. But let's be honest, timing things correctly here is simply not a thing.
 
By the time I've finished my monotonous classes, the last thing I care to do is work with multiple busses during the hottest time of the day, which is conveniently rush hour.
 
Thankfully, my lovely university has set up an unofficial hitchhiking/ride sharing/carpool system.
Now, before you freak the frick out, I'm not hitchhiking on the street from random people in Mexico. Have a little faith in me.
 
There is a small round about in the entrance of ITESO and all students and faculty who park on campus must pass through the round about, after showing their credentials, in order to enter and leave the university. It is by this location that I obtain a ride home every day.
(Note above picture.)
 
I really enjoy it.
I get to meet new people, both students and faculty, and have really interesting conversation.
 
Today I, along with two other students, received rides from one of ITESO's professors.
We talked about our respective majors, how our weekends went, the weather... ya know, typical conversation until it turned into something a with a bit more depth.
 
The professor asked me about where I have traveled and when I began to tell him about my US and Canada travel working in the inner city with the homeless, my time in Panama, Rwanda, Botswana and now Mexico... He was completely puzzled.
 
"Por que el tercer mundo? Tu podrias ir a cualquier lugar que quieres..."
Why the third world? You could go anywhere you want...
 
I paused to think.
 
You see, I've always been extremely attracted to the third world lifestyle.
The sense of true community and ability to thrive in simplicity fascinates me.
The fact that friendliness is not done out of convenience but out of genuine care is beautiful and the general open armed demeanor is something the rest of the world should really take note of.


 
He nodded in a respectful manner and agreed with my conclusions.
But then he asked again
"En serio, por que el tercer mundo?"
But seriously, why the third world?
 
I paused to gather my thoughts again.
Normally that's my standard answer because it's true and satisfies people's questions.
This prof though seemed to know that there was more, or perhaps he did not believe that a young, American woman could be enamored by a life filled with community and simplicity.
 
I responded again.
I love the third world because in the third world I see the face of Christ.
 
I love the song "Signature of the Divine (Yahweh)" by Needtobreathe.
The opening line captures my sentiments pretty darn well.
 
"Cathedrals have tried in vain to show the image of your face. We are, by own design, signature the Divine."
 
It later goes on to say
 
"The fortunes of kings and queens are wasted chasing what we've seen. 'Cause we are, by your reprieve, the beauty framed by your suffering."
 
 
Those who have spent time with the outcasts, the downtrodden, the poor, the hurting, the deemed "freaks" by society, the orphans, the widows, the prostitutes, the addicts, the dealers, the families living ten people to a one room apartment, the shut ins, and the terminally ill... they'll all have to agree with me.
 
Jesus was a baller.
A total outcast.
Like, he's God, I'm pretty sure he could do whatever with whomever he wanted.
But no, he chose to kick it with women, fishermen, tax collectors, children, lepers...
 
He made killer speeches about the Kingdom of God, told stories of forgiveness and grace, flipped tables to show his fury regarding corruption in the church and side stepped cocky assholes let the children come to him.


 
I've seen the beauty that riches can provide.
Massive mansions, fast cars, political power, status, unlimited education, effortless travel, glitzy clothing, general attractiveness, tons of friends...
 
I've also seen the beauty that true joy can provide.
Widows singing praises and dancing in the face of their HIV/Aids, orphans playing with sticks in the mud but smiling as if that stick was the coolest toy in the world, families living in cardboard boxes telling bedtime stories as they cuddle together, old women scrapping up what resources they have in order to provide their entire church congregation with homemade tamales every Sunday night...
 
people who know that money is not what makes a life worth living,
people who maybe can't even identify where this feeling comes from,
people who know that this joy is not of earthly origin.
 
Holy joy,
the radiating light that shines from those who know their worth in Christ rather than status,
those thriving in the worst conditions one could imagine...
 
that's why I love the third world.
 
"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart. for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted, for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven."
Matthew 5:3-12

 
 "Signature of the Divine (Yahweh)" by Needtobreathe

No comments:

Post a Comment