Wednesday, April 10, 2013

sista love


Today is National Siblings Day.
So basically, today gives me an adequate excuse to brag excessively about how great my sister is.

Not only is my sister the most beautiful young woman in the world, but she is also extremely talented.

Her aggressiveness on the basketball court (varsity as a freshman btw) regardless of her size compared to her opponent is very impressive.
Her impressions of both Snow White and the Jackson 5 (yes, all five of them) are creepily accurate.
Her ability to lead a group of people while demonstrating humility is beautiful.
Her knowledge when it comes to Peter Pan, Harry Potter, and Star Wars is freaking fantastic.
Her empathy for the hurting is grand.
Her attempts to de-vegetarianize me are persistent, annoying, but persistent.
Her dance skills while wearing fuzzy socks on the hard-wood floor in the kitchen, is inspiring.
And her shameless worship is striking.

Now,
Her "I will end you" face she frequently gives me when I throw things at her door from downstairs to get her attention (because I am too lazy to walk up the stairs and knock gently) is terrifying.
Her blaring of Taylor Swift through every speaker in the house is the epitome of misery.
And her clothes stealing is sneaky, clever and quick.... but awful. Seriously, girl, get your own clothes.

All of this being said, I have the best sister ever.
To illustrate more clearly, here are a few short stories...

When Madison and I were younger we would get banished to our rooms frequently. We were very mischievous children. This was fine when we shared a room, but when I "moved out" to the adjacent room, this banishing business became an issue. Heck, I didn't want to sit in my room alone! What fun is that? She also did not like the loneliness  (Looking back, this 'loneliness' probably only lasted about ten minutes, but then... it felt like an eternity!) So, every time we would get in trouble we would master-mind a new way to communicate through separate rooms. One attempt involved punching out our screen in the window so that we could sit and dangle our legs outside, lean out the window to chat. Needless to say, when out mom saw  us two little kids half way out of our 30ft high windows, she was not too happy. After that, we attempted a form of morse code. But we forgot the code. Boo. Our third attempt worked. When our parents were outside doing yard work one day, Madison and I grabbed the power drill from the garage, and drilled a hole in the separating wall big enough to look through. Then, we both covered the hole with a picture and waited for the next time we would get sent to our rooms. (I assure you, that did not take long...) Ah, ha! We had won. We could talk to each other while in trouble. Go team, go.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Not too long ago I had to end a relationship. It was extremely difficult for me. Having to plan ahead of time to deliberately hurt someone I cared about was excruciating. I was in prayer for months over the issue, and was in deep turmoil over the situation. When the day came, and I had to confront the problem, I felt totally alone. That night, I did it. And it sucked. I came back home and ran to my room balling. My family was downstairs but they knew, do not bother Kayla. I don't handle deep emotion very well. So, they gave me my space. When I finally wound up the courage to go down the stairs and get some water from the kitchen to re-hydrate myself from all of the crying, Madison approached me, cautiously. She grabbed my computer and inched towards me like she was walking through a mine field and diffusing a bomb at the same time. She looked at me. I glared back. She said, "trust me." Usually, that means that she is going to throw water in my face or stab me with permanent marker... but that day was different. I trusted her, and I am so thankful that I did. Suddenly, piano music was playing from my computer and I heard my sister's voice... "Iiiiiiiiii don't want a lot for Christmas" then louder "there is just one thing I need, I don't care about the presents underneath the Christmas tree". She continued to sing as I stared. Then with all of her might she belted out "ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS YOU!" and said "take it away Kayla!" 

And just like that, my awful night became magical.
Two tone def sisters belting out Mariah Carey.
I was crying, we both were... but not because we were sad.
My father was also crying. (they jury is still out on whether we was crying out of joy, out of hysteria, or the pain his ears were experiencing)

Now, that's love.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Madison, I am so thankful that you are my sister. Not just because you're smokin' hot, but because you are an angel (when you're not trying to kill me).
You are my best friend.
We go together like rama lama lama ka ding a de ding de dong.
Aww (:

Happy Siblings Day!
Mark your calendar, Madison. Sisters Day is August 4th. That's a Sunday. You better bring your A-game.



2 comments:

  1. I guess all that hard parenting stuff worked....So glad you two love each other.... and by the way...all I WANT for Christmas is you TWO..and your hot dad!!! hee hee Lov you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Team Sisters! I love this; thanks for writing it.
    And you must have had a real challenge coming up with so many superlatives with which to end each sentence at the beginning section: talented, impressive, fantastic, grand, striking. Although my favorite was "the epitome of misery." Thx.

    ReplyDelete