Thursday, January 17, 2013

why white?

"Afrocentric theory does not pose a threat to multiculturalism  it dos however, pose a threat to Eurocentrism--the imposition of a European view that denigrates the experiences of others. European domination of Western culture over many years has resulted in the dislocation of Africans both physically and psychologically. To lose one's terms is to become a victim of the other's attitudes, models, disciplines, and culture; and the ultimate effect of such a massive loss is the destruction of self-confidence, he distortion of history and psychological marginality. Sanity will come only from a conscious relocation of ourselves from the margins of someone else's experience to the centrality of our own experience. 'I love Harriet Tubman, because she first loved me', I tell my children." This was said by Molefi Kete Asante, a leading figure in the field of Africana Studies. Reflecting on my education, it is amazing how incredibly racist my studies were. Though I consider myself to be considerate of all cultures, it is impossible to not have any racism in my blood. All of my education has been through the perspective of white (usually protestant) males. I cannot think of a single African theologian, Latino Artist or Asian writer that I have studied in class. This semester I am taking a class called Africana Studies; this means a study of West African history, the slave period and the Civil Rights Movement. I am one of three white students in my class.The majority of my class is African American and proud of their heritage  They are taking the class to learn about their past and use that knowledge to change the future. I am excited and ready for the challenge of being the minority. I have a feeling that my perspectives will be changed dramatically over the course of the next few months and I welcome it! I want to learn to think in the true sense of "multiculturalism". Western culture has been dominated by Eurocentrism for so long that any other point of view is taboo. I want to challenge Eurocentrism and expose my peers to the truths of history. This semester will not only be informative academically but also culturally. I'm so ready for my life to undergo serious change in terms of perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Please change my perspective, too!!!! I love that your school experience is challenging what our culture forces us to believe! I can't wait to read more:)

    ReplyDelete